I once was a writer. I seek to return to her each day.
Eileen Wiedbrauk is a writer, editor, tech geek, designer, coffee addict, cat herder, public library fangirl, founder and former Editor-in-Chief of World Weaver Press, MFA grad, Odyssey Workshop alum, database wrangler, technical writer and web developer-in-training, kdrama devotee, avid reader, and a somewhat decent cook. She wears many hats, as the saying goes. Which is an odd saying in this case, as she rarely looks good in hats.
If you’re here because you seek to hire Eileen Wiedbrauk, try eileenwiedbrauk.com as well as this blog. Like all portfolios, my dot-com a work in progress. But if you want writing samples — scroll down. These links are also on my website.
Nonfiction Writing Samples
- PDF of 3 Writing Samples | Download
- “3 Steps to Tell Surrealism from Fantasy Fiction” | Blog & Eccentric Review
- “What Is ‘Speculative Fiction?'” | Blog & Eccentric Review (2012 version previously posted at World Weaver Press)
- “Small Presses: Tiny But Mightly” | Odyssey Writing Workshop Guest Blogger
- “Bridging Gaps and Weaving Worlds” | Enchanted Conversation: A Fairy Tale Magazine Guest Blogger
- Book Review: Mage’s Blood by David Hair | Reviewed on NewMyths.com
- Book Review: Anthropomorphisms by Bruce Boston | Reviewed on NewMyths.com.
- Book Review: Silver by Rhiannon Held | Reviewed on NewMyths.com
- Book Review: Rook by JC Andrijeski | eviewed on NewMyths.com
- “A Case for Contests” | Third Coast Literary Magazine Blog
- “Making Memoir” (textbook article) | Writing Beyond the Rules: Juxtaposition, Disruption, and Multiple Genres, Edited by Joyce R. Walker and Kristin Denslow, 2nd Ed. 2009. (Article reprint) Illinois State University Writing Research Annual | Article-only download
- Blog and Eccentric Review (Personal Blog Reborn)
- Speak Coffee To Me Blog (Personal Blog Defunct)
- “Yaga Dreams of Growing Up,” PodCastle, 2015.
- “Candy, Shoe, and Skull; Sallow Flowers Plucked Like Chains,” Niteblade, 2015. Pushcart Prize Nominee
- “Breath Stirs in the Husk,” Pseudopod, 2014.
- “Yaga Dreams of Growing Up,” Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet. No. 29, 2013.
- “Breath Stirs in the Husk,” Urban Green Man, edited by Adria Laycraft and Janice Blaine (EDGE Publishing), 2013.
- “Garbage-to-Gold Spindle–On Sale Now!” – Enchanted Conversation: A Fairy Tale Magazine. March 2011.
- “Apology” – SWINK. Nov. 18, 2010.
- “Not Yours” (previously titled Color, Pattern, and Fantasy) – The Northville Review, Aug. 2010.
- “Fireworks” – North American Review. May-Aug. 2009.
About the Blog and Eccentric Review: This blog’s predominant theme is stuff I find interesting enough to write about. And I find I’m only passingly saddened by the lack of consistency or conformity. This blog has quite a bit of whatnot written about writing and storycraft. Specifically fiction writing. More specifically speculative fiction. Remember when you were a kid and while all the adults were talking about something dull, you were the one getting the VCR to stop flashing 12:00? I do. If you’re like me, you still get asked these sort of quotidian tech questions, so now I blog short documentation and how-tos when I’m asked these kinds of questions by friends and family. Also, I write reviews of things as I see fit. Usually things I like. Sometimes I podcast those reviews. The subject matter is primarily Korean TV dramas (subtitled in English) and related material. It’s eclectic. And eccentric. It’s hopefully vivacious, which is what I mean when I say, Speak Coffee To Me.